Saturday, April 17, 2010

Internet Safety Reflection:

What article did you choose to read for your article of choice?
I chose to read Let our Voices be Heard by M. Russell Ballard.

Describe the video resources you watched?
We watched a video on internet safety as a class. It was very interesting and had some surprising facts.

I think what stuck out to me the most was that using the internet can be a lot more dangerous than I've given it credit for. I know it's dangerous. I even knew most of the statistics and facts that were shared through the movie, but I had the mindset of "that'll never happen to me." What the movie helped me with was the idea that everyone needs to be careful because no one is an exception. The internet can present very serious danger both temporally and spiritually, if one isn't careful.
I chose to talk about internet safety with my mom. She actually already knew everything I'd learned and more about the internet. My mom has eight kids and since we're getting into the teenage stage and using the internet more she has already taken the initiative to learn about internet safety recently. Although she wasn't surprised by any of the statistics or facts that we talked about, it was still a sobering reminder about just how dangerous using the internet can really be. I was a little surprised that she already knew so many specifics and more, yet they still had a sobering effect. I think my mom is going to be a bit more careful with programs like Facebook that my siblings and I use so often, among other things after our discussion. I do know that my mom has had a talk with my siblings since we had our discussion about internet safety. Hopefully, that'll help start the chain of internet safety in my area.

No comments:

Post a Comment